Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Photoshop, stamping, photos and scrapbooking: Woohoo!


This scrapbook layout has it all. My own photo "art", if you'll allow me to call it that, stamping, photoshop effects & editing, oh and even some Close to My Heart product as well. And to think I didn't set out to make it this way. All I wanted to do was create a layout about the ice storm we had on January 7th for my 2009 project that I have started in response to a challenge.

It is a cool challenge. Maybe you've seen people doing 2009 one photo a day challenges. Well I could never commit to a challenge like that! But my dear friend Pat challenged her Yahoo group, Stamping Scrapbookers with a modified version. Just one layout a week. Now I think I can keep up with that, I hope. Yeah I know my New Year's resolution about shedding and here I am taking on a new project, am I off the wagon already? I have taken lots of "day in the life" style photos and have never done anything with them. So I love this idea because it gives me incentive to do those pages that have been rattling around in my head for so long.

So about this day in my life: we had this ice storm and school opened late that morning. The hubby and girls had just left the house, so with three breakfasts and lunches all done I went to get dressed. I looked out my bedroom window and saw this view. Inspired, I ran downstairs and grabbed my camera and began to play. As I shot I imagined a layout contrasting how much I hate icy winter days - they scare the heck out of me...all that slipping and sliding around- with just how darn beautiful they can be.

The background papers I used in this layout are photos I took of my deck. I cropped them to 12 x 12 in photoshop and then printed them onto cardstock. The main photo on the first page was begging for a special effect so I applied the cyanotype preset in PS Lightroom. I think it is cool. It fits with the chilly feel I was looking to convey. What do you think?

The title was stamped with the Williamsburg set from Technique Tuesday in pearlescent sky blue Brilliance ink. Then I heat embossed with translucent Kaleidascope embossing powder and finally added the white outline with a gel pen. I think the lettering looks as icy as the day was. And to think I stumbled upon this accidentally because the blue ink did not show up against the background as much as I had hoped it would! Someone does have to teach me what ink to use to stamp on dark backgrounds. The stickers are from the Close to My Heart Aspen kit.

The journaling reads:
We had a delayed opening of school. An inconvenience for sure but I always appreciate the precaution. I took these pictures just after Joe left the house with the girls. Still icy but much better than it was 90 minutes earlier. Paradox: I think these sights are indeed beautiful and yet they depict what it is that I most hate about Winter .... ICE.... slipping, falling, losing control of the car...worrying. I so appreciate being able to just stay home, inside safe and warm.

No comments: