Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Creating a Custom Photoshop Brush from a Stamped Image

Hi! As promised in my last post here is the tutorial on how to take a stamped image and use it to create a custom brush in Photoshop. I am using CS3 in the tutorial but this is basically the same in Elements. But first, some art to share. This is a digital page I created using the technique. The shamrocks are a rubber stamp from Hero Arts. In real life it is a 1 x 1 inch stamp. Limitless resizabilty is one really cool reason to use this technique.



The "Irish Eyes" font is called Family Tree from Creating Keepsakes. You may recognize it from a previous post. I'm surprised by how useful a font it has been for me. To think I was on the fence when I downloaded it. The journaling is my own handwriting.(I love my Wacom tablet, well I'd be lost without it in my business) The paper texture is an easy thing to do in photoshop (to see full size click on the image)

I have created a detailed .pdf with step by step screen shots. You can download it here. What follows is a brief summary.

1. Stamp your image with Black Stazon ink on white paper and scan it. Save the scan as a .jpg.
2. Open your saved scan with Photoshop.
3. Select Edit > Define Brush Preset
4. You will get a dialog box. Name your Brush and click OK
5. Your new brush is now available to you in your brush palette! Take a look and go play!


Some important notes


1.Stamps are copyrighted images. So any electronic reproduction, including a photoshop brush is protected by the copyright. Therefore you should not share and certainly not sell brushes made this way.

2. Your new Brush will remain available in the brushes palette until you reload, replace or reset the the brushes. Then you will lose it. To avoid this you must SAVE the brush as part of a set. The pdf gives details on how to do this.

In future posts I will discuss more about playing with brushes. You will see it can be lots of fun to make your own brushes from your stamps! Go play and PLEASE show me what you've done:-)

No comments: