Monday, March 10, 2008

Sketch Challenge and a Hybrid Card




It's been over a week since I've posted. Needless to say I've been busy. But it is a happy busy. I was in Mystic, CT with my business two weekends ago and I am still working on fulfilling orders. If any of my Mystic customers are reading, thanks for a very successful weekend! And don't forget you can still place orders with me via email or with my online order form. (See the link to my website in the left hand column)

I am also very happy because I just signed up with Close to My Heart as a demonstrator! I've been thinking about this for a very long time. I love their products and I haven't been buying them for some time now because I've been waiting until I became a demonstrator-duh. So I finally took the plunge. My starter kit is due to arrive Wednesday. I await it eagerly.

Now don't tell CTMH, but just before I left for Mystic I received a big box from Stampin' Up. I got all the SAB sets. (Never mind CTMH, don't tell my husband...shhh) It's been so difficult staring at that box and not finding the time to play with the toys inside. Well, yesterday I got them all mounted and today when I got home from work I dropped everything and sat down to play. Yeah! Finally!

So this idea has been stirring around in my head all the while that I've been waiting to get to those stamps. It went like this, "hmmm lots of talk about hybrid scrapbooking going on. Why not hybrid card making?" So the first thing I did was sit down at the computer. I began browsing my photos for inspiration. I found this photo that my daughter took in France last summer. (I let her go without me, darn!) So I opened it in Photoshop, cropped it and removed the people on the path. Then I used another recent purchase of mine - a set of 300 dpi watercolor images from Wetzel & Co. I used two watercolors to alter the photo. One as a color filter and the other to add texture. I layered the color image on top of the photo, set the blend mode to Hue and the opacity to 50%. Next I added the texture layer. I converted it to B&W, used a levels adjustment to increase the contrast, set the blend mode to overlay and adjusted the opacity down to 85%. These are the three original images I used:


Here is the image when I was done editing:



Now it was time to get my hands dirty, literally! I'd been itching to give the Reinker Splash Technique from the Feb issue of Technique Junkies Newsletter a try. Well I think it was a little over my head because I made a mess and played around alot before I got the piece I chose to use for the strip down the side and the sentiment oval. I used alcohol inks - a first for me! The background is stamped with En Francais by SU and the sentiment is from the SAB set Merci.


Oh and I should not forget to mention the layout is Technostamper's Monday Lunchtime sketch Challenge #8 - are we up to 8? I missed last week so I've lost count.


So a new TJ technique, MJ's sketch challenge, Photoshop, and two of my new stamps. So how many birds did I kill with that stone? Happy, Happy Me!

3 comments:

Julie Ann Shahin said...

Great blog you have here. You might enjoy our new networking site for hybrid scrapbookers. It's at www.scrapbookdimensions.ning.com and keep up the good work! :)

Kerry said...

Great job incorporating all this into the card sketch!!

MJ said...

WOW! What a wonderful job you did! Thanks for all the extras and thanks for playing.