Monday, January 21, 2008

If You can't Find It, Make It!










Today, as promised, something simpler. However the basic idea is the same as yesterday. You can sum it up by saying, “If you can’t find the paper you want: MAKE IT!” Yesterday I showed how I made Les Miz paper; today Major League Baseball. In both instances I searched in vain for the paper I wanted to do the spread. I could not believe that the folks at Topps had not caught on to the scrapbook craze and licensed someone to do paper. Then, I think it was my dear husband who said to me, “Duh, they’d have to pay the players royalties.” That’s when I realized it was time to warm up the lamp on my scanner. I did this spread before I started my business and invested in my wide format printer. So I had to make the paper 8.5 x 11. But think about it, how many times have you cut down a 12 x 12 piece of paper to use it as an accent? So the lack of a wide format printer should not stop anyone from making their own background papers.

So here’s how I did it. I went into my son’s room and grabbed the first stack of cards that I saw. Luck would have it that they were all either Mets or Yankees (Grandpa is a Met fan, Anthony roots for the Yankees) I arranged the cards on the scanner bed in a way that visually pleased me, saved the scan as a Bitmap and printed the paper using Windows photo printing wizard. Simple, no special software required.

This idea will work for just about anything. Want sewing paper? Throw a bunch of notions and fabric on your scanner bed. Does your two year old love cheerios? Cover your scanner with clear plastic, nice & flat, and then lay on the cheerios. Instead of closing the lid throw a large piece of white paper or fabric over the top; scan, save and print.


3 comments:

Pat Huntoon said...

Excellent post, Val! Really great! The layout is wonderful and your explanation is clear and spot on.

SmilynStef said...

Great idea and explanation ... love the effect with those baseball cards and how special for your son to have paper made from something that belongs to him ... very personal.

Lisa said...

That's really cool Val, thanks for the how to!